Sun’s Out Buns Out!
Healthy Summer BBQ Tips
Nothing says summer like a cookout and the smell of a flaming hot grill. But if you’re trying to maintain a healthy diet, a weekend BBQ can be more of a test of your will power than a chance to relax and enjoy time with friends. That’s because most traditional BBQ foods are loaded with calories, fat, sodium and sugar. So, should you stay away? Of course not! Here are some strategies to help you enjoy without completely throwing your nutrition off track.
- Don’t deprive yourself completely. If there’s a food that you really love, by all means have it. But, focus on portion control. Choose one favorite to savor and enjoy in moderation.
- Bring something healthy. Volunteer to bring a dish and prepare something healthy. That way you’ll know if all else fails, you have at least one healthy option to fall back on.
- Choose a lean protein. Grilled chicken or turkey are great high protein options and you can enjoy more without all the saturated fat of a burger or a steak.
- Load up on vegetables. It’s always a good idea to fill half your plate with vegetables. Thankfully there are many delicious in season choices during the summer months. And, don’t forget corn on the cob! It’s delicious grilled and topped off with a few sprinkles of salt.
- Choose greens. If you have the choice between a salad of greens or potato salad or coleslaw, go for the greens. You’ll spare yourself hundreds of calories on the dressing alone.
Here’s to a long, happy summer!!