We’re on to week 2 of the 6 Week Summer Fat Loss Challenge! This week’s assignment is to up your activity level. You can do this by adding in an extra workout at Synergy, incorporating a 30-60 minute walk or run or adding a yoga session to your weekly exercise.
But, extra activity doesn’t have to be in the form of a traditional workout. If you don’t have time for a full workout, you can also choose to do things like this instead:
- Park farther away from the store so you have to walk more.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator at work.
- Do some yard work – now is a great time!
- Really walk your dog. You and your dog will benefit!
- Take your kids to the park and play along with them – climb the jungle gym, swing, push the roundabout.
- Clean your house. Vacuuming or washing the floor can really get your blood pumping!
- Make your coffee break a walking break.
- Stand up and do 10 squats every hour you’re at work.
- Walk around while you’re on a phone call.
- Wash your car yourself.
- Get off the bus or train one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
Here are some interesting facts about how beneficial it is to move more:
- Sitting too much actually shortens your life! For every hour you sit, your life expectancy decreases by two hours.
- Sitting for more than three hours a day causes 3.8 percent of all-cause deaths.
- Even just 20-25 minutes of light activity per day may add anywhere from three to seven years to your life span.
- Brisk walking has been shown to improve life expectancy in smokers and overweight people.
So, get out there and move more this week. And, don’t forget, you should still keep up your food log and add this week’s assignment to compound your results.