Easy Ways to Get a Summer Ready Body

If you’re like me, you’re starting to feel that itch that summer is coming. That means emerging from what may seem like a long hibernation, shedding our winter layers and maybe the last few winter pounds as we ready our physique for the summer season.

Regular workouts will go a long way in helping you go into the summer feeling healthy and confident. But if you’re feeling crunched for time or just want to rev up your results, here are a few tips to consider that will get you and your body summer ready in no time.

Get Off Your Butt – Research published in the New York Times says that a whopping 80% of Americans have sedentary jobs that require little or no physical activity. If you have one of those jobs you could find yourself sitting behind a desk upwards of 8 hours a day. To counteract that, look for opportunities to get up and move. Consider walking for 20 minutes once or twice during the day. There are probably some tasks you can accomplish while standing as well. Some innovative workplaces are even offering standing desks to encourage employees to move more.

Get Your Heart Rate Up – You don’t have to wait til you’re at the gym to get your heart pumping. There are lots of high intensity, body weight exercises you can perform quickly and just about anywhere. Even carving out just five minutes a day for five simple moves can give your heart rate and your metabolism a boost. Try one minute each of push ups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges and butt kicks.

Listen to Your Stomach – There’s a difference between feeling satisfied and feeling full. Did you know that if you eat til you feel full you will always be eating in excess of what you need? Get in tune with your body and stop eating when you feel satisfied instead. It’s important to eat slowly, chew your food completely and give your digestive system a chance to catch up to your brain during a meal. Drinking water just before and just after you eat is also a good way to keep from overeating since your body can sometimes mistake thirst for hunger.

Follow the 80/20 Rule – At Synergy we definitely encourage clean eating. Our nutritional counseling programs help clients learn to fuel their bodies with whole, natural foods. And, while we always recommend eating healthy and real food instead of heavily processed foods we recognize that keeping to a diet that is 100% clean 100% of the time is not realistic for most. Healthy eating doesn’t have to mean “perfect” eating. Following the 80/20 rule is a great way to maximize the amount of wholesome and nutritious food you eat while still leaving room for some treats and “cheat foods” you may want. With the 80/20 approach, you stay focused on clean eating 80% of the time and allow yourself some indulgences for the other 20%. This can mean wine or dessert when you’re out with friends, a weekend cheat meal or giving in to a craving you’ve had. Be mindful of your treats though and obviously don’t let them exceed the 20% limit.

Drink Up – While the Institute of Medicine recommends drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day, CBS News reported that nearly 75% of Americans fall short of this target, living in a constant state of dehydration. Increasing your water intake can help you get more out of your workouts, flush out toxins and burn more fat. It’s essential to helping your body digest and absorb nutrients from the food you eat. Upping your hydration is a super easy way to stay energized, reduce bloat and keep all your systems flowing.

What do you do to get your body summer ready?

Like us on Facebook